Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Apple Cake

Poor long-suffering Molly, typed this recipe up for us when she was visiting in October after our apple picking excursion left us with a bounty of apples which led us into all sorts of baking adventures.

Molly would dearly love for me to give you the details on the recipe. I got it from Beth Schultz in Nashville, TN, a lovely gal who hosted a lovely cooking themed wedding shower for me and with whom I am no longer in contact -- as happens over and over again because I am a BAD communicator. The recipe came with an angel food cake pan and I do think fondly of Beth each time I make it. Unfortunately, I don't make it often because I am the main consumer of baked goods in our house and I don't need to eat that much apple cake.

So, please, enjoy a slice for me when you make it.

Apple Cake

Before you start preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease an angel food or bundt cake pan.


3 large or medium apples,peeled, cored and thinly sliced

2 tsp cinnamon and 5 Ttbsp sugar---mix together and set aside.


Combine:

3 cups flour [unsifted]

2 cups sugar

3 tsp baking powder

4 eggs

2 1/2 tsp vanilla

i cup of vegetable oil

1/4 cup orange juice


Beat together until smooth.

Pour half the batter into the greased pan.

Arrange half of the apple slices on top, and sprinkle with some of the cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Cover with layers of remaining batter, apples and cinnamon mixture.

Bake for one hour and fifteen minutes, or until done.

1 comment:

molly said...

I must be only half awake, most of the time, as I didn't catch this and you posted it a week ago! I made it for your g'father's birthday at the end of October, and was thinking I'd have to hi-jack it, and post the recipe myself, even though it's yours! Just so it would be out there while apple season is still in full swing! I did take a picture which I'll post---now! Good girl! Let's see, there's the brown bag apple pie and the corn pudding recipe, which would be nice to put out there in time for Thanksgiving. Just a suggestion, for those times when you're scratching about with nothing to do.......